Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why America Fuckin' Rules

If you grew up in Southern California, you likely spent more time watching Cal Worthington grinning broadly through a picture tube than Three Stooges or Little Rascals reruns. Worthington was on TV for only one reason, to sell cars, and he became a living legend in the process. He is probably the nation's longest-lived TV pitchman of any sort, and during his remarkable career, he single-handedly invented the practice of big-time car selling -- or at the very least, made it an enduring success.

Old jalopy on the brink? Go see Cal

[via Hemmings Classic Car]


2 comments:

Ty said...

Jesus, T! You have no idea what a flood of memories you've unleashed. I cam still sing the entire Cal Worthington Jingle (and his dog, Spot).

Classic only in SoCal celebrity. Cal probably got more action in his time than any actor or sports hero (including Wilt). Cal could trade CARS!

But, you hit the jackpot by adding Little Rascals and Three Stooges to the cocktail. I was RAISED on that shit, no lie.

As a father of a 7 year-old I couldn't imagine her watching the Stooges (mostly because my wife would fuckin divorce me with her PC ass) and my kid's a bad ass. Maybe I'll take her to the coming film (incredible cast) and if there's interest in classic slapstick, racism, and mad yucks, we'll backfill.

Great post for my old-school ass.

larry mahan said...

Dude is cowboying up.

 

the running mule

the running mule