Monday, December 22, 2008

The Dodos of TV

Extinction-Level Television Event

I’m a runt of Generation X, which means 1) I’m supposed to define myself entirely through ironic references to pop culture, and 2) as a member of the last generation to come of age in an era of only three TV networks, I assume everyone will understand when I drop a quote from “Scooby-Doo” or “The A-Team.” But the generation immediately after mine has never known life without cable, and the generation after that won’t know a life without streaming video.

Having only three TV channels to watch must sound as quaint to them as radio plays do to me. Today’s entertainment universe provides endless variety for every demographic and taste, and the things that everyone actually wants to watch together are few and far between. That’s what makes NBC’s decision to surrender its weekday 10 p.m. timeslot to a new Jay Leno talk show as inevitable as it is sad.

Read More... of Alan Sepinwall's original article at NYT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog

 

the running mule

the running mule