Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Idol: Kurt Vonnegut, Jr

At the Museum of Television & Radio in 2003, I met Mr Vonnegut. We briefly shook hands and exchanged a giggle before sitting down to watch a rough cut of Robert B. Weide's Kurt Vonnegut: American Made. The cut ran long and Mr. V. fell asleep in his chair. He was alone at the screening. At the conclusion he was expected to walk up to the stage and speak about the movie of his life. As he rose from the low seat he wavered off balance. I didn't want to embarrass him by grabbing prematurely but I was worried. As he began to fall back, Dick Cavetts's wife (?) screamed grabbed him and I reached up and steadied my idol. He looked back graciously but sadly into my eyes and thanked me. He was an important man and I am sorry to this day I waited till told to lend him the hand he had always granted so willingly. I will miss him.

God Bless You Mr. Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (November 11, 1922 – April 11, 2007)

No comments:

 

the running mule

the running mule